Court throws out second application to force Achimota School to ‘temporarily’ admit Rasta student
A second application filed against the Achimota School over its refusal to admit dreadlocked students has been dismissed.
Rastafarian student, Tyron Marhguy, was seeking an injunction to force the school to admit him temporarily pending the final determination of the case.
However, the Human Rights Court 1 Division of the High Court threw out the application during Tuesday’s sitting.
According to a report by Citinewsroom, Justice Gifty Addo ruled that the application in its entirety touches on the substance of the substantive suit and would thus be pre-emptive.
The judge, therefore, adjourned the case to April 23, 2021, but assured that the trial will be expedited.
This comes just a day after a similar application for a mandatory injunction against the Achimota School was also dismissed.
The first injunction application was filed by a dreadlocked student, Oheneba Nkrabea, seeking to force the school to admit him temporarily.
The student, through his father, had filed an ex-parte motion arguing that his constant stay at home puts him in a disadvantaged position.
He, therefore, prayed the court to order the Achimota School to temporarily admit him as both parties continue their legal tussle.
A section of the motion said, “the longer Applicant stays at home, the longer he will continue to be denied an education.”
However, giving her verdict on the motion, Her Ladyship Gifty Addo said granting such an application would be prejudicial to the substantive matter.
It will be recalled that last month, the Achimota School came under the spotlight after the school denied admission to two male students who were sporting dreadlocks.